I recently wrote a post wondering about how safe our tap water is in the UK. You can read it here. My main issue was with the chlorine. Chlorine is used in the treatment process to kill harmful pathogens. I understand that we need to treat the water to ensure it is safe to use in homes however I don't believe chlorine is the best option.
Here is what Water.org says about chlorine
"The most commonly used disinfectant is chlorine because it is effective and easy to control. Chlorination and its safety has been the subject of a huge amount of research, probably more than any other single water-related topic. The consensus from all authorities is that research has not provided adequate evidence that chlorination of drinking water has adverse effects on health. In spite of this, the authorities, in conjunction with the water supply industry, take a precautionary approach to minimising any theoretical risks from chlorination."
Research has not provided adequate evidence that chlorination of drinking water has adverse effects on health...hmmm. I guess they did not read the evidence I did or all the other evidence posted online and in studies and reports on chlorine.
I found a website called Runners World with a post about the chemicals in our water. Here is the bit about chlorine.
How'd it get in there? Public drinking water in the UK is disinfected before it gushes from your tap. The addition of chlorine is the most widely used method of disinfectant.
Harmful effects: In small doses, chlorine is literally a lifesaver, as it kills dangerous contaminants. But studies show that long-term exposure to chlorine byproducts can lead to miscarriage or birth defects, according to Dr Gina Solomon, a senior scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council, an environmental action group in the US.
Your action plan: Chlorine byproducts evaporate naturally, so let your glass of tap water sit for five minutes before drinking it. Another option is a charcoal filter, either a freestanding jug, a tap attachment, or a built-in fridge device.
I like their ideas to address the problems with drinking the water but what about all the other uses in the home? There is a simple alternative to treat water and actually provide many benefits too. Hydrogen Peroxide. When I mention this to people they think I am bonkers! Most people think it is dangerous to consumer hydrogen peroxide but I have been using it safely for over 3 years and my health is great. In fact, I am healthier than I have ever been. Hydrogen peroxide could be dangerous if I used the wrong dosage but then again, this could apply to aspirin or anything. If hydrogen peroxide is used appropriately it is not harmful at all. IT CAN'T POSSIBLY BE BECAUSE IT IS ALREADY USED in ambulances and hospitals. Why don't we know about it? If people really knew how amazing hydrogen peroxide is everyone would start using it and if this happened, the waiting rooms at the doctors and hospitals would be empty! (Please exclude the A&E/ER departments) If this were to happen we wouldn't need the pharmaceutical industry... you see why the amazing benefits of hydrogen peroxide are hidden and scare stories about it's safety abound?
Hydrogen peroxide has one more atom of oxygen than water and when used correctly, I believe it is the safest natural water treatment solution available to us. It kills germs and pathogens by oxidizing them. When hydrogen peroxide reacts with organic material it breaks down into oxygen and water. It only affects things below a certain vibration. Anything healthy or beneficial vibrates at a high level and hydrogen peroxide will not act upon it. We do not have to worry about consuming it because it will only affect the unhealthy parts of you will be affected (negatively). On the positive side the body, the cells will receive an oxygen boost and this can only benefit the body.
Aside from water treatment, Hydrogen Peroxide can be used for many other things. If you feel so inclined, please research it. Here are some links to get you started
Articles on Hydrogen Peroxide (& Other Oxidative Therapies)
Hydrogen Peroxide by Walter Grotz
The Many Benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide by Dr. David G. Williams
Alternatives in Cancer Therapy - Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide v. Prostate Cancer by Bill Munro (Oct. 14, 2005)
Hydrogen Peroxide Nasal Sprayer & Garden Applications by Bill Munro (Feb. 7, 2005)
The Therapeutical Applications of Hydrozone and Glycozone by Charles Marchand (1904)
Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants
I just have to put this in briefly regarding my own use of Hydrogen Peroxide. I only ever use 35% Food Grade from a reputable source. I handle it with extreme care (at 35% it will burn your skin) and I dilute it with pure water, preferably distilled (tap water and even spring water has elements that will react with the hydrogen peroxide). I use it everyday at home. I use it in place of bleach and other harsh cleaners, I rinse my mouth in it (and have sparkly white teeth) and if I ever feel a cold coming on, I put a little in each ear, wait a bit and use tissue to soak it up. I haven't had a cold in years.
Hydrogen peroxide is a safe and effective way to treat water without any harmful side effects, like the ones we all get with water treated with chlorine. Hydorgen Peroxide is really helpful for SO MANY things. It also has the potential to heal some of the big, ugly diseases. If you feel inclined, please explore and share your findings with others.
Many blessings all, Carole